Parenting Support and Tips
Parenting while ill – or during a spouse’s illness – is uniquely challenging. If you are unable to come to one of our offices for in-person support, you can call our helpline at 1-844-WE-WONDER (844-939-6633) and connect with Wonders & Worries’ expert staff on how to talk to children and teens about any adult illness.
Join Julie and other Wonders & Worries professionals as they discuss common parenting issues that arise when a parent within the household is enduring an illness. Each episode is about 20-30 minutes and addresses a specific area of concern for parents related to communication with their children, feelings/emotional regulation, as well as coping and resiliency.
This podcast is beneficial for ALL parents and is especially helpful for parents experiencing an illness by providing brief bits of education in a small time-frame, specific to their needs. Listen to an episode now or subscribe to our RSS feed on any one of the major online podcasting platforms.
Parent consultations keep parents and caregivers involved throughout the support process. They happen in person, over the phone or through email.
During consultations, parents can discuss and receive feedback on their child’s understanding and coping. This also gives parents the opportunity to ask questions and to update us on illness information.
The child-parent relationship can become harder to navigate after a parent or caregiver has been diagnosed with a serious illness. To make the transition easier, we offer periodic parenting classes. Virtual parenting classes are coming soon.
Reflective listening and limit setting are helpful parenting tools for all parents and are especially important when families are coping with parental illness.
Parenting is rewarding – and challenging! We’re here to help during this difficult time. We offer therapeutic tips and expressive activities to help parents and caregivers communicate with their children about illness in the family.
- Why Wonders & Worries 🎥
- Why Wonders & Worries: A Teen’s Perspective 🎥
- Talking with Kids about Cancer: A Family’s Story 🎥
- Finding the right time to have a conversation with your children – HALT 🎥
- How to understand a child or teenager’s experience – CVLR 🎥
- Wonders & Worries Jar 🎥
- Teaching Kids About Cancer 🎥
- Teaching Kids about Port-A-Cath 🎥
- Teaching Kids about Symptoms: Making Blood Soup 🎥
- Feelings Mask Activity 🎥
- Fun with Drawing
- Create a Home Coping Kit
- Sharing Your Love Through Shoebox Mail
3. General Parenting
- 3 Tools to Practice Conflict Resolution Skills
- Simplify & Say No This Holiday Season
- How Busy is Too Busy?
- Summer Reading List Triggers
- Help Your Child Respond to “How I Spent My Summer Vacation”
- Granting Wishes in Fantasy
- Special Gifts for the Holidays
4. Quarterly Highlights for Clients