Child Life Practicum
What We Offer
Wonders & Worries offers child life practicum opportunities three times per year: fall, spring and summer. Practicum students commit to 15 to 20 unpaid hours per week for the semester. We do not offer an internship at Wonders & Worries.
What to Expect
Practicum students work closely with Wonders & Worries’ certified child life specialists, shadowing and providing support for individual and group sessions as well as family-focused events. Wonders & Worries is considered an alternative or non-traditional practicum setting.
What We’re Looking For
An ideal applicant has a strong foundation in child development and previous experience with child life in a hospital setting — either through a hospital-based child life practicum or volunteer work.
The following are required for application submissions:
- A 250-300 word letter of intent
- Resume with GPA
- Completed a minimum of 100 hours in a hospital-based practicum or provide equivalent medically based experience
- Completed SACLP Practicum Application
- Have TWO professionals, with at least one being able to speak about your direct work with children/teens, email the following items to [email protected]:
- The Child Life Practicum Reference Form, and
- A letter of recommendation
- Applicants are expected to have a GPA of 3.2 or higher
In other words, EACH professional will need to send both the reference form and letter of recommendation, for a total of TWO reference forms and TWO letters of recommendation per applicant.
NOTE: While not required, it is preferred that at least one of the two references relate to an experience within the past three years.
Practicum students are required to be vaccinated for the COVID virus or provide a doctor’s written explanation related to not being vaccinated. Given the fact the majority of the parents or caregivers we work with are immunosuppressed, it is for their protection, their families, and that of the practicum students.
We are committed to Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion (DEI) as stated by the ACLP Board.
Our practicum application and offer deadlines follow the internship deadlines set by the Southern Association of Child Life Professionals, but with a 2-week delay:
- Application deadline is September 19, 2023
- Offer date is October 24, 2023
- Application deadline is January 19, 2024
- Offer date is February 27, 2024
- Application deadline is March 29, 2024
- Offer date is May 21, 2024
How to Apply
To apply for a Wonders & Worries practicum, please send the SACLP Common Child Life Practicum Application letter of intent, resume with GPA, two Child Life Practicum Reference Forms and two letters of recommendation to [email protected] with the subject line Practicum Application.
Please include all of the above items in one email if possible with the reference forms and letters of recommendation sent by the referral.